What Is Gluten Free Diet?
What is gluten free diet? First what is gluten? Gluten (from Latin gluten, “glue”) is a protein composite found in foods processed from wheat and related grain species, including barley and rye. It gives elasticity to dough, helping it to rise and to keep its shape, and often giving the final product a chewy texture. I also have included gluten free diet list to help you identify gluten free foods. Best of all, I will be sharing easy gluten free recipes on the healthy food blog like my Southwestern Baked Sweet Potatoes and my Fruity Quinoa Salad. Both these gluten free recipes are highlighted with a symbol in Eating Well To Fight Arthritis cookbook.
Gluten Free Diet For People with Celiac Disease
An estimated two million Americans – about one in 133 people – have celiac disease, an inherited, autoimmune disorder that tends to run in families. Symptoms are caused by eating foods that contain gluten, and, like many autoimmune conditions, the symptoms can initially be triggered by physical and emotional stress.
People with celiac disease should follow a gluten-free diet for life. Even a small amount of gluten can cause problems and result in damage to the small intestine. The good news is that following a gluten-free diet can greatly improve and even completely resolve symptoms, heal existing intestinal damage, and prevent further problems.
Use The Following As A Guide to Gluten Free Diet List
1. Avoid all foods containing wheat, oats, barley and rye.
2. Read labels carefully. Gluten can turn up in cold cuts, soups, candies and soy sauce. Be aware of ingredients such as starch, modified food starch, hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP), hydrolyzed plant protein (HPP), texturized vegetable protein (TVP), binders, fillers, excipients, extenders, malt and natural flavorings, all of which may indicate the presence of gluten.
3. Look for grocers that specialize in gluten-free products – mixes for pancakes, muffins, pizza dough and bread are available.
4. Know where gluten can be hidden in products we use every day, such as stamp and envelope adhesive, medicines and vitamins.
Foods that may contain gluten:
Textured vegetable protein
Gluten-Free Diet List for Grains
Being gluten intolerant doesn’t mean you have to eat a totally grain-free diet. Here are a few options you can still enjoy (in moderation) when grain-cravings strike:
9. Wild rice
Easy Gluten Free Recipes
A note about oats: Experts hotly debate whether oats are tainted by gluten. Oat advocates point to studies showing oats don’t appear to damage the small intestines of people with celiac. Yet, detractors say oats are bound to be contaminated by gluten because they are often processed in facilities that handle gluten-containing grains. So it’s best to steer clear. If you’re concerned about contamination, choose Bob’s Red Mill oats (available at most major grocery stores). They are considered by many to be the “cleanest” oats around. If you’re still unsure, putting oats on your list of foods to eliminate and reintroduce can help you determine if they are problematic.
Southwestern Baked Sweet Potatoes from Eating Well To Fight Arthritis
Layers of flavors explode into an exceptionally delicious sweet potato–naturally sweet yam, cheese, cool southwestern yogurt sauce and black bean mixture, topped with green onion gives a “wow” effect. These potatoes make a wonderful gluten free diet meal and of course, are part of my easy gluten free recipes!
Makes 4 potatoes
4 medium sized Louisiana yams (sweet potatoes)
1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1. Poke holes in sweet potato with fork. Microwave potatoes 8-10 minutes or until potatoes are soft and cooked through.
2. In small bowl, mix together yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, and salt; set aside.
3. In small nonstick skillet, heat oil and sauté bell pepper, onion, remaining 1 teaspoon chili powder, remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin and paprika until onion is slightly caramelized, about 5 minutes. Stir in black beans until heated.
4. Cut thin slice off top of potato and open wider by squeezing potato. Top each potato with cheese, black bean mixture, yogurt mixture and green onion.
Tip: If you would rather, bake potatoes in oven at 400°F. about 1 hour.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 372, Calories from Fat 12, Total Fat 5 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 9 mg, Sodium 567 mg, Total Carbohydrate 66 g, Dietary Fiber 14g, Sugars 13 g, Protein 16 g, Diabetic Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat
My New Favorite Oven Mitts That Never Get Dirty!
Axe Sickle (Set of 2) Silicone Heat Resistant Cooking Pinch Mitts, Mini Oven Mitts Gloves, Cooking Pinch Grips
I have these silicon oven mitts and love them. I think they are easier to grasp hold of the pan and use since they are short. Personally, these are my favorite because they don’t get dirty. My pot holders all look horrible even after I wash them. They are inexpensive, easy to store and do the job.
They also make a cute gift (for yourself).
You Can Download Carolyn’s Cookbook!
Now Available for Download. If you like her blog posts, you’ll love her downloadable cookbook! If you liked Carolyn’s Paleo Pumpkin Bread, you’ll love all of my recipes.
The title says it all: Clean Simple Delicious by Carolyn Maul It is what you’ll find in this collection of 100 recipes that I’ve made for my family and friends over the years that have been big hits.
You can find out more about Carolyn on her blog.
Easy Gluten Free Recipes in Holly’s Healthy Cookbooks
I asked Holly if she had any gluten free cookbooks and she said her arthritis cookbook which is a focus on anti inflammatory recipes and her cancer cookbook with a focus on recipes for cancer patients and cancer prevention. Both easy healthy cookbooks contain a symbol to indicate gluten free recipes throughout the cookbook. This way you have easy reference for gluten free foods. It is important you understand what is gluten free?
EATING WELL TO FIGHT ARTHRITIS: 200 easy recipes and practical tips to help REDUCE INFLAMMATION and EASE SYMPTOMSEating Well Through Cancer: Easy Recipes & Tips to Guide you Through Treatment and Cancer Prevention
But most importantly, Carolyn is one of the most enthusiastic and happy people you will ever meet! She is a go-getter and loves a challenge! It is Carolyn’s belief that through serving others she is becoming her best self.
Latest posts by Carolyn Maul (see all)
- What is Gluten Free Diet? Simple And Easy Gluten Free Recipes - November 7, 2017
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread Recipe with Almond Flour Substitute: YUM! - January 12, 2017