What Makes Sweet Potato Corn Chowder Recipe So Special and An Arthritis Diet Recipe?
This sweet potato corn chowder recipe makes the perfect comfort food for cooler fall weather and the best healthy cooking recipes! When the temperature drops, nothing is better than a warm pot of soup simmering on the stove, Best of all this corn chowder is a healthy, easy recipe. This easy anti inflammatory recipe makes an amazing corn chowder recipe full of nutrient rich veggies. Chunky Corn Chowder with Kale and Sweet Potato is from the Anti-Inflammatory Carotenoid chapter of my arthritis cookbook, Eating Well to Fight Arthritis and this recipe makes a delicious vegetarian freezer-friendly meal. Best of all this is a diabetic corn chowder recipe.
Veggie and Nutrition Rich Sweet Potato Corn Chowder Recipe -Easy Anti-Inflammatory Recipes
Concerned about kale in your corn chowder? Don’t be! Keep kale a part of your regular menu. One cup provides a good source of fiber, 15% of your daily calcium recommended intake, 180% of vitamin A, and 200% of vitamin C and use kale in a variety of recipes. You know sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin A and carotenoids by their rich orange color. They provide powerful anti-inflammatory antioxidants found to have anti-cancer, anti-oxidant and immune boosting properties.
Chunky Corn Chowder with Kale and Sweet Potato from Holly Clegg’s Eating Well to Fight Arthritis cookbook
Makes 8 (1-cup) servings
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups skim milk
2 cups low sodium fat-free vegetable or chicken broth
1 (16-ounce) package frozen corn
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups chopped kale
1. In large nonstick pot, heat oil and sauté onion, celery and garlic until tender, 5-7 minutes. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly one minute.
2. Gradually add milk and broth; bring to boil, stirring several minutes or until mixture thickens. Lower heat and add corn and sweet potato, cooking until sweet potato is tender, 6-8 minutes. Season to taste. Stir in kale, cooking several minutes.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 186, Calories from Fat 18%, Fat 4g, Saturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 1mg, Sodium 91mg, Carbohydrates 34g, Dietary Fiber 4g, Total Sugars 9g, Protein 6g, Dietary Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
Terrific Tip: If you want the sweet potato corn chowder recipe a little thicker, dissolve two teaspoons cornstarch in a little water and add. After refrigerating leftovers, if too thick, add more broth.
Find more fall weather easy and healthy Soup recipes.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- White Chicken Chili Recipe, Gumbo & Wonderful Winter Soups - January 11, 2018
- Mardi Gras Party Menu – Easy Chicken Gumbo to Crescent Roll King Cake - January 8, 2018
- Ground Beef Dip Recipe For Incredibly Flavored Easy Meaty Italian Dip - January 7, 2018