Orange Cupcakes Spring Cupcake Favorite!
Orange cupcakes fit into the spring menu and the cupcake fad! As of this weekend, Spring has officially sprung. Azalea’s are in full bloom and the days are getting longer and warmer. The perfect treat for days like these are Orange Cupcakes with Citrus Cream Cheese Frosting, from Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle At Any Age. Cupcake shops are all the rage right now, and you can easily whip up these little delights in your own home. I think cupcakes are fun treats and also great to serve at parties. Whether bringing them to a neighbor, your children’s grade school class, or a shower, these cupcakes are sure to please. A refreshing orange twist and a cream cheese icing is hard to beat and shhhh they even get a boost of whole wheat flour nutrition – but I won’t tell the kids!
Orange Cupcakes with Citrus Cream Cheese Frosting from Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle At Any Age.
With cupcakes the fad, try this refreshing, light cupcake with a wonderful orange twist and sneak in whole wheat flour for a nutrition boost.
Makes 20-24 cupcakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat or all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon grated orange rind, optional
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 (12-ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed and divided
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Citrus Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
1. Preheat oven 350°F. Line muffin tins with cupcake papers.
2. In medium bowl, combine both flours, baking powder, baking soda and orange rind.
3. In another bowl, combine sugar, buttermilk, orange juice concentrate (reserving 2 tablespoons), oil, eggs and vanilla and whisk until well mixed.
4. Add sugar-buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir only until blended. Divide batter among muffins and fill about half full. Bake 18-22 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool, frost with Citrus Cream Cheese Frosting (see recipe).
Citrus Cream Cheese Frosting
1 (8-ounce) package reduced- fat cream cheese
2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, reserved from above
2 cups confectioners sugar
1. In mixing bowl, beat together all ingredients until creamy and frost cupcakes.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 184 Calories from fat 28% Fat 6g Saturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 25mg Sodium 96mg Carbohydrate 30g Dietary Fiber 1g Sugars 22g Protein 3g Dietary Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- White Chicken Chili Recipe, Gumbo & Wonderful Winter Soups - January 11, 2018
- Mardi Gras Party Menu – Easy Chicken Gumbo to Crescent Roll King Cake - January 8, 2018
- Ground Beef Dip Recipe For Incredibly Flavored Easy Meaty Italian Dip - January 7, 2018