When is Louisiana Crawfish Season?
Louisiana Crawfish Season – we all look so forward to it!!! Crawdaddy, mudbug, crayfish, – however you name them – they are a staple in delicious Southern dishes. I love giving you my healthy Cajun recipes and easy crawfish recipes! That’s why I am so excited and honored to be named the new spokesperson for the Louisiana Crawfish and Promotions Board! Though the season is from late February to mid-May; I stock up on tails so now to keep in my freezer to enjoy in healthy crawfish recipes like my Louisiana Crawfish Cakes from my Gulf Coast Favorites Cookbook: 30 Minute Recipes from my LOUISIANA KITCHEN all year long! Creating healthy easy recipes for you! You can now enjoy all your Louisiana favorite recipes as healthy Louisiana recipes. Most importantly, I create quick easy healthy recipes. Is Crawfish healthy?
Louisiana Crawfish Season Facts
- Louisiana accounts for 90 – 95 percent of the total U.S. production yearly.
- In Louisiana, most crawfish is harvested between December- June with the peak season being March – May.
- When it comes to crawfish – always ask before you eat!
- COOL is the USDA’s mandatory country of origin labeling program.
- Read the label VERY closely making sure the country of origin is USA and not just ‘Distributed” in the USA.
- Often Chinese crawfish is labeled with Cajun sounding names; however under the USDA COOL program, but they must be clearly labeled Product of China.
- Ask before you eat! By choosing only Louisiana crawfish, not only are you supporting US agriculture but you are also buying a healthier food. Chinese crawfish may contain certain banned antibiotics strictly tested for in the US but not in China.
- Crawfish averages 15% yield meat per pound; therefore it takes 6 – 7 pounds of live crawfish to get 1 pound of peeled tails.
My Favorite Easy Crawfish Recipes During Louisiana Crawfish Season and All Year!
- For meal reference: plan on 3-4 pounds of live crawfish per person per meal or 1 pound of tails per 3 people like in my trim and terrific Deluxe Crawfish Pizza and Louisiana Crawfish Fettuccine from Gulf Coast Favorites cookbook.
- Crawfish are a great source of protein, as well as low in calories, fat, saturated fat and a good source of vitamins – including biotin, calcium, iron, niacin, phosphorus, selenium, Vitamins A, B-6, and B-12.
- After washing the fat content from tail meat, they only contain about 1% of the RDA or Recommended Daily Allowance.
- During their molting process crawfish can regenerate lost limbs and claws.
If you like my easy,crawfish recipes like Crawfish Etouffee recipe which is also diabetic, then you can find more healthy easy recipes and Louisiana southern recipes in my Gulf Coast Favorites cookbook. If you’re a Cajun, Creole Louisiana fan but want healthier options for all your favorites, get an autographed cookbook from my website with discount code GULF25 for 25% off! Start cooking healthy Cajun recipes!
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- English Muffin Breakfast: Caregiver Recipes Help with Cancer Treatment - October 16, 2017
- Ideas for Breast Cancer Awareness: Pink Recipes and Think Pink Products - October 12, 2017
- Quick Family Dinner Ideas – Back To School Dinner Recipes! - October 5, 2017