Easy Breakfast Casserole Recipe with Mexican Taste
Easy breakfast casserole recipe doesn’t’ get tastier than my FAVORITE Overnight Mexican Breakfast Casserole Bake. This make-ahead recipe for breakfast casserole, Mexican Breakfast Bake is from my cookbook, Too Hot in the Kitchen. This cookbook has some of my favorite healthy easy recipes. I love to plan ahead and nothing is easier than to wake up in the morning and pop in the oven this quick breakfast casserole. It is absolutely DELICIOUS and there’s nothing to do in the morning but smell it cooking! I sometimes make this scrumptious southwestern breakfast recipe to keep in my refrigerator and I eat for breakfast or sometimes even dinner all week long.
Eggs Are Healthy! Enjoy my Overnight Mexican Breakfast Casserole
We know bran is full of fiber and blueberries are brain food but you may be cutting out yummy foods previously deemed bad for you and missing out on their surprising health benefits. Sound too good to be true? Not this time because you do not have to deprive yourself to enjoy a healthy nutrient-rich diet. Eggs have previously been labeled as artery-clogging, however, they are now a highly recommended protein-rich food full of vitamins and minerals such as choline and lutein – vital for brain function, eye health, pregnancy and fetal development. At only 70 calories per egg, each provides 13 essential nutrients, vitamins and high-quality protein. Eggs do contain cholesterol but recent studies show they actually contain 14% less than previously thought at 185 mg cholesterol per egg.
Great Way for Eggs is in my Easy Breakfast Casserole Recipe
All you need is a whisk to whip up the egg mixture for this delicious overnight Mexican Breakfast Bake. The American Heart Association recommends eating 300 mg or less of cholesterol per day and you may easily enjoy a whole egg several times per week for it’s nutritional benefits.
Or, whip up a few egg whites and still get that great source of protein. Too much of a good thing can be bad for you if done in excess but the key is to treat yourself occasionally. Then, by doing so you also boost your health with nutritional benefits! So, enjoy my easy breakfast casserole recipe for the perfect make-ahead overnight Mexican breakfast casserole
Mexican Breakfast Bake from Holly Clegg’s trim&TERRIFIC Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle At Any Age
Simple ingredients magically create this make-ahead scrumptious easy breakfast casserole recipe and fulfilled everyone’s expectations in my house.
Makes 8-10 servings
1 (4-ounce) can green chilies
8 ounces ground breakfast turkey sausage
1 onion, chopped
1 red, green, or yellow bell pepper, cored and chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon chili powder
4 egg whites
2 cups fat-free half-and-half
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 1/2 cups reduced-fat shredded Mexican blend cheese
5 (8-inch) 98% fat-free flour tortillas, cut into quarters
1. Coat 13x9x2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread green chilies along bottom of dish.
2. In large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble sausage until starts to brown. Add onion and bell pepper and cook until sausage is done and vegetables tender. Add garlic and chili powder. Remove from heat and cool.
3. In large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, and half-and-half; and in another bowl, combine green onion and cheese.
4. Spoon one-third of sausage mixture over chilies in baking dish. Top with one-third tortilla quarters and one-third cheese mixture. Repeat layers, ending with cheese. Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole and refrigerate, covered, at least 6 hours or overnight.
5. Preheat oven 350°F. If using glass baking dish, place in cold oven. Bake 50-60 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown or knife inserted into custard comes out clean.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 262 Calories from fat 28% Fat 7g Saturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 129mg Sodium 578mg Carbohydrate 23g Dietary Fiber 2g Sugars 5g Protein 18g Dietary Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 lean meat
Morning Favorite Breakfast
My blueberry recipe wows everyone and it is simply my amazing, most popular Blueberry Muffin Streusel Cake from Too Hot in the Kitchen cookbook. I LOVE this recipe and I can’t quit eating it. However, it is trim & terrific which helps me feel better.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- Easy Buttermilk Pie with Brown Sugar Streusel Topping Recipe for the Holidays - November 17, 2017
- My Favorite Silicone Kitchen Utensils – Cooking Tools Equipment - November 14, 2017
- Food for Nausea – Gingerbread Muffins Recipe Make Easy Holiday Snack - November 13, 2017