I was honored to be featured at a demonstrative event at the Juanita J. Craft Recreation Center at Baylor Dallas. As some of you may know, November is Diabetes Awareness Month so I was thrilled to be able to share some of my recipes and tips with people suffering from Diabetes. The two recipes featured were Wild Rice and Peppers from my book Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle at Any Age and Mixed Greens with Apples and Walnuts with Cranberry Vinaigrette from my book Eating Well to Fight Arthritis. Both recipes are diabetic-friendly and were a hit with the group on Friday. I was also able to share this recipe on WAFB yesterday as you can watch below.
Celebrate the holidays with my healthier diabetic recipes
Check out some of my favorite holiday diabetic recipes on my website.
Wild Rice and Peppers from Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle at Any Age
Here’s the perfect side that keeps the plate attractive while rating very high in flavor. I’ve made this recipe many times for parties.
Makes 6- 8 servings
1 (6-ounce) box long-grain and wild rice mix
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 bunch green onions (scallions), chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded, sliced in long, thin slices
1 green bell pepper, seeded, sliced in long, thin slices
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup cooked white rice
1. Cook the wild rice according to the package directions.
2. In large skillet, heat olive oil and saute green onions, red and green peppers, and mushrooms until tender, 5-7 minutes. Stir in cooked wild rice and white rice, and serve.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 163, Protein (g) 4, Carbohydrate (g) 23, Fat (g) 7, Calories from Fat (%) 35, Saturated Fat (g) 1, Dietary Fiber (g) 2, Cholesterol (mg) 0, Sodium (mg) 352 Diabetic Exchanges: 1.5 starch, 1 fat
Mixed Greens with Apples and Walnuts with Cranberry Vinaigrette from Eating Well to Fight Arthritis
Tart apples, sweet cranberries and toasted walnuts with a lightly sweetened vinaigrette makes this a special salad with lots of flair.
Makes 6 servings
1 cup sliced green apples
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
6 cups mixed greens
1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
Cranberry Vinaigrette, (recipe follows)
1. In bowl, combine apples, onion, cranberries, walnuts and mixed greens. Toss with feta and Cranberry Vinaigrette (see recipe).
Use this fantastic vinaigrette on your favorite salad.
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons cranberry cocktail juice
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons nonfat sour cream
1. In small bowl, whisk together honey, cranberry juice, vinegar, mustard, oil, and season to taste. Whisk in sour cream.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories from fat 43%, Fat 7g, Saturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 3mg, Sodium 118mg, Carbohydrate 19g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 15g, Protein 4g, Dietary Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- White Chicken Chili Recipe, Gumbo & Wonderful Winter Soups - January 11, 2018
- Mardi Gras Party Menu – Easy Chicken Gumbo to Crescent Roll King Cake - January 8, 2018
- Ground Beef Dip Recipe For Incredibly Flavored Easy Meaty Italian Dip - January 7, 2018